- 1 Is Kerkyra the same as Corfu?
- 2 Why is Kerkyra called Corfu?
- 3 What is Corfu known for?
- 4 How long is the ferry ride from Athens to Corfu?
- 5 What language is spoken in Corfu?
- 6 What is the nicest part of Corfu?
- 7 Is Corfu expensive?
- 8 Is Corfu a party island?
- 9 Which is better Crete or Corfu?
- 10 Are there sharks in Corfu?
- 11 What is the nicest island in Greece?
- 12 What money is used in Corfu?
- 13 Which is the best Greek island to go on holiday?
- 14 How far is Corfu?
Is Kerkyra the same as Corfu?
Only the Greeks use the name Kerkyra, ” Corfu ” being the name the rest of the world uses. ” corfu ” is probably a corruption of the Greek word “korifi,” meaning “summit,” which in turn was named after the promontory that Corfu Town was built on, in the 7th century AD, by the Byzantines.
Why is Kerkyra called Corfu?
The modern Greek name Kerkyra comes from the nymph who was the daughter of the river-god Asopos. The more recent name Corfu is a corruption of koryphi, which means peak, after the summit on which the Byzantines began building a castle early in the 7th century, and where the main town was later re-established.
What is Corfu known for?
Like the rest of the Ionian islands, Corfu is famous for its traditional cuisine, which is strongly influenced by the island’s 400 years long Venetian occupation. A wide variety of flavors, fresh local ingredients and talented chefs have as a result delicious dishes, which combine traditional with modern cuisine.
How long is the ferry ride from Athens to Corfu?
There is no ferry connecting Athens and Corfu. Two types of ferries are available: the open ferry reaches the port of Corfu in about 2 hours, while the larger ferry takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
What language is spoken in Corfu?
Language. English is widely spoken, though many locals also speak some German and Italian.
What is the nicest part of Corfu?
BEST PLACES TO STAY ON CORFU – THE HIGHLIGHTS
- BEST QUIET RESORT: Paleokastritsa, Liapades.
- BEST PLACES FOR FAMILIES: Agios Georgios, Agios Stefanos W, Sidari.
- BEST HOSTELS: Pink Palace, Corfu Backpackers.
- BEST APARTMENT: Sky Loft ( Corfu Town), Domux Lux ( Corfu Town), Palms and Spas (Mesonghi).
Is Corfu expensive?
Corfu On a Budget Like many beach destinations in Europe, Corfu can be expensive due to higher tourist demand and limited space on the island. But Greece is still a fairly affordable country compared to other places in Europe, so deals can be found.
Is Corfu a party island?
With its vivid nightlife, a mix of lounge bars, traditional taverns and all-night clubs Corfu is a great Greek Party Island destination and one of the Best Party Holiday Destinations In Greece. Areas like Sidari, Benitses, Dasia also have many nightclubs.
Which is better Crete or Corfu?
Corfu is much greener and subsequently wetter! Crete is huge and varies dramatically from region to region. Try them both and make your own mind up. With two weeks at your disposal I would opt for Crete as this would enable you to get a good feel for the island, especially if you rented a car.
Are there sharks in Corfu?
All sharks are rare in Greece, and those that are seen or caught by fishermen are usually from less-dangerous types—basking sharks, thresher sharks, and dogfish. In recent years, sharks have been found or caught around Milos, Symi, and Crete.
What is the nicest island in Greece?
Best islands in Greece
- Santorini. In Santorini the blue of the sea blends with the blue of the sky and the blue roofs of the houses.
- Kefalonia Island.
- Marathonisi Island.
- Rhodes Island.
- Symi Island.
What money is used in Corfu?
Greece is part of the European Union and Greece money currency is Euro. (Euro replaced Drachma in 2002). The euro banknotes come in: 500, 200, 100, 50, 20, 10, 5.
Which is the best Greek island to go on holiday?
The 5 Best Greek Islands
- Santorini. My favorite island in Greece is Santorini.
- Mykonos. The best nightlife and clubbing in Greece is found on Mykonos.
- Crete. The largest Greek island and rich with beaches, historical sights, hikes, and small cities.
- Naxos. The most family-friendly island in Greece is Naxos.
How far is Corfu?
How big is Corfu in miles? The length of the island, in a straight line, from north to south is not more than 61 km(40 miles ). The greatest width is 27 km (17 miles ). The beautiful and beaches-rich coastline has a total length of 217 km(135 miles ).