- 1 What is Crete Greece known for?
- 2 What should I not miss in Crete?
- 3 What is the most beautiful part of Crete?
- 4 Is Crete worth seeing?
- 5 What is the best time of year to visit Crete?
- 6 Is English spoken in Crete?
- 7 Which side of Crete has the best beaches?
- 8 How many days should I spend in Crete?
- 9 How do you get around in Crete?
- 10 Where is the best location to stay in Crete?
- 11 What is the best area in Crete to stay?
- 12 What is the most popular resort in Crete?
- 13 Is Crete expensive to visit?
- 14 Is it better to stay in Chania or Heraklion?
- 15 How far is Crete from Santorini?
What is Crete Greece known for?
The island of Crete is the largest in Greece, and it has a truly magical atmosphere all its own. It is big enough for you to easily spend a full holiday there exploring its hidden corners, tasting the best of Greek cuisine, and basking in that magical Mediterranean light.
What should I not miss in Crete?
Top 5 Things Not to Miss in Crete
- Phalasarna, West Crete. Start your Crete adventures on the west coast at the stunning beach town of Phalasarna, a scenic drive from Chania.
- Phaistos Palace, South Central Crete. Forget Knossos, Phaistos is the Minoan palace you should visit in Central Crete.
- Spinalonga, East Crete.
- Kato Zakros, very East Crete.
What is the most beautiful part of Crete?
5 Most Picturesque Places to See in Crete
- Balos Lagoon, Crete.
- Samaria Gorge, Crete.
- View of the Island of Spinalonga, Crete.
- View of Voulisma, Crete.
- Agios Nikolaos, Crete.
- Thalassa Villa, St Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas.
Is Crete worth seeing?
Luckily, there are more than enough places in Crete where you can do exactly that. From cities like Chania with its colorful old town to charming coastal towns and villages like Agia Galini and Agios Nikolaos, Crete proves it’s worth visiting even if you’re not looking for a typical sunny vacation.
What is the best time of year to visit Crete?
The best time to visit Crete is from mid-May to June or from September to October. May brings with it warmer waters and beautiful wildflowers that can be spotted throughout the island’s natural attractions.
Is English spoken in Crete?
The official language spoken in Crete is in fact Greek, but you will find that many locals speak English – they are keen to make you feel at home, so why not do the same? The Greek language is one of the oldest European languages, featuring in written documents from around 3,400 years ago!
Which side of Crete has the best beaches?
List with the best 20 beaches in Crete
- Balos beach. Chania. Balos is a fantastic location on the northwestern side of Crete, in the region of Chania.
- Elafonissi beach. Chania.
- Vai beach. Lassithi.
- Falassarna beach. Chania.
- Preveli beach. Rethymno.
- Matala beach. Heraklion.
- Rodakino beach. Rethymno.
- Plakias beach. Rethymno.
How many days should I spend in Crete?
Crete is a large island with so much to offer. You are surrounded by stunning beaches, archaeological sites, small islands, gorges & historical towns. To see all the “top sights”, it will take a minimum of 10 days – 2 weeks, however, you could easily spend 4 weeks and still have more to see.
How do you get around in Crete?
The best way to get around Crete is via car. There are public buses that connect visitors to the major cities of Heraklion, Rethymnon, Chania and Agios Nikolaos.
Where is the best location to stay in Crete?
The best place to stay in Crete is Chania area or western Crete that actually has the best beaches of the island and some of the best hotels along with the beautiful Chania town with its elegant restaurants, the picturesque Old Town of Chania and the incredible Samaria Gorge (which you should hike).
What is the best area in Crete to stay?
- Chania, best area to stay in Crete for your first time.
- Rethymnon, good area for affordable accommodation.
- Heraklion, best area to stay in Crete for sightseeing.
- Agios Nikolaos, good place to stay in Crete.
- Sitia, windsurf and nice beaches.
- Matala, beautiful beaches lying near famous archaeological sites.
What is the most popular resort in Crete?
Chersonissos or Chersonisos) is one of the most popular and visited Crete resorts. Hersonissos is 27 kilometres east of Heraklion airport, on the north coast of Crete and with neighbours of Stalis and Malia this area has got to be the place for the best beach resorts in Crete.
Is Crete expensive to visit?
But compared with other holiday destinations such as Turkey or Egypt or areas of Greece and its islands such as Mykonos and Santorini we haven’t found that Crete is expensive. Locally grown and produced food is cheap in Crete. This positively impacts on prices in tavernas, restaurants and hotels.
Is it better to stay in Chania or Heraklion?
Both are big towns but quite different – Heraklion is the capital, very busy, lots of shops, plenty to do and see including Knossos and the archaeological museum, but not the first place most first-time visitors think of staying; Chania is smaller, a lovely focal point is the harbour area – generally accepted to be one
How far is Crete from Santorini?
How Far Is Santorini From Crete? These two famous Greek islands are 148 km (92 miles) apart.