- 1 What do I need to know before going to Greece?
- 2 What should I know about Greece?
- 3 Do and don’ts in Greece?
- 4 What is so special about Greece?
- 5 Do people speak English in Greece?
- 6 Do I need a passport to go to Greece?
- 7 What is the main religion in Greece?
- 8 What food do they eat in Greece?
- 9 What is Greek known for?
- 10 How much money should I take to Greece for a week?
- 11 What should I avoid in Greece?
- 12 How do you dress in Greece?
- 13 Why Greece is so important?
- 14 Why is Greece so popular with tourists?
- 15 How safe is Greece?
What do I need to know before going to Greece?
Here are 15 of the most important things to know before traveling to Greece!
- The Greeks Are on Island Time.
- Shops Close on Sundays.
- Haggling Is Expected.
- Always Have Cash on You.
- Greece Isn’t the Most Disability-Friendly.
- Greeks Practice Hospitality at Its Finest.
- Drink, But Don’t Get Drunk.
- Driving Can Be Difficult.
What should I know about Greece?
12 Things You Need To Know About Greece
- Greece has one of the richest varieties of wildlife in Europe.
- Everyone aged 18 or over must vote it’s required by law.
- Greece has the largest amount of archaeological museums than any other country in the world.
- Greece’s capital is one of the oldest in the world.
- Greece has more islands than it’s possible to count!
Do and don’ts in Greece?
Dos & Don ‘ ts
- Speak our (body) language. Don ‘ t think that you need to learn some Greek before you get here.
- Pick your restaurant wisely.
- Haggling is not cool.
- Tread carefully.
- Take your time.
- What not to wear.
- Follow toilet etiquette.
- Avoid the clichés.
What is so special about Greece?
Greece boasts a great variety of food and drink, with a vast array of Greek wines, local liquors and world-known dishes. Discover food specialties of the islands or the hearty dishes on the mountain villages. Visiting Greece is a feast for the senses.
Do people speak English in Greece?
The official language of Greece is Greek, spoken by 99% of the population. The most common foreign languages learned by Greeks are English, German, French and Italian.
Do I need a passport to go to Greece?
For entry into Greece, your passport should have at least six months of remaining validity. U.S. official and diplomatic passport holders must obtain a Schengen visa prior to arrival. If you are traveling on a U.S. official or diplomatic passport, you will not be allowed to enter Greece without a visa.
What is the main religion in Greece?
Religion in Greece is dominated by the Greek Orthodox Church, which is within the larger communion of the Eastern Orthodox Church. It represented 90% of the total population in 2015 and is constitutionally recognized as the “prevailing religion ” of Greece.
What food do they eat in Greece?
Don’t leave Greece without trying…
- Taramasalata. A mainstay of any Greek meal are classic dips such as tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber and garlic),melitzanosalata (aubergine), and fava (creamy split pea purée).
- Olives and olive oil.
- Grilled meat.
- Fresh fish.
- Courgette balls (kolokythokeftedes)
What is Greek known for?
What is Greece Famous For?
- The Birthplace of Democracy.
- The Beginnings of Philosophy.
- Geometry and the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Western Medicine and the Hippocratic Oath.
- The Olympic Games.
- Drama and the Theatre of Epidaurus.
- Greek Mythology and Mount Olympus.
- Cartography and Map Making.
How much money should I take to Greece for a week?
Past travelers have spent, on average, €28 ($34) on meals for one day and €22 ($27) on local transportation. Also, the average hotel price in Greece for a couple is €110 ($134). So, a trip to Greece for two people for one week costs on average €1,545 ($1,879).
What should I avoid in Greece?
10 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Greece, Ever
- Show too much skin when visiting a church.
- Rely only on credit cards.
- Take a passive-aggressive attitude with smokers.
- Take photos of military installations.
- Throw paper in the toilet.
- Eat or drink in the metro in Athens.
- Do the moutza.
- Touch artifacts in museums and at archaeological sites.
How do you dress in Greece?
When planning what to wear in Greece in summer, pack tank tops, vests, shorts, mini-skirts, and light dresses; these can all be in bright, colorful shades to reflect the season. Opt for thin, light materials like cotton and linen for extra breathability and coolness.
Why Greece is so important?
The Greeks made important contributions to philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, and medicine. The Greeks were known for their sophisticated sculpture and architecture. Greek culture influenced the Roman Empire and many other civilizations, and it continues to influence modern cultures today.
Why is Greece so popular with tourists?
Greece has been a major tourist destination and attraction in Europe since the 1970s for its rich culture and history, which is reflected in large part by its 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, among the most in Europe and the world as well as for its long coastline, many islands, and beaches.
How safe is Greece?
Greece is a very safe country to travel to. Tourists are unlikely to experience any crime or violence. The only concern is petty crime on the streets, but if you apply the basic precaution measures, your trip should go smoothly.