- 1 How long does it take to get to Greece by boat?
- 2 How long does it take to sail 1000 nautical miles?
- 3 How long does it take to sail across the Mediterranean Sea?
- 4 How is sailing distance calculated?
- 5 Is it cheaper to buy ferry tickets in Greece?
- 6 Should I book Greek ferries in advance?
- 7 How far can a yacht go on a tank of gas?
- 8 How far can I walk in a day?
- 9 How fast is 10 knots an hour?
- 10 Is it dangerous to sail across the Atlantic?
- 11 Is it hard to sail across the Atlantic?
- 12 How big of a yacht do I need to sail across the Atlantic?
- 13 How many nautical miles can you sail in a day?
- 14 What is distance in navigation?
- 15 How long does it take to go 20 miles in a boat?
How long does it take to get to Greece by boat?
If you go by sailboat and you’re not a racer, your average speed will be 5 knots . The distance from San Francisco to Piraeus via Panama is 9091 miles, which can be covered in 76 days at that speed. If you add to that a couple of port calls, then you need at least 80-90 days.
How long does it take to sail 1000 nautical miles?
1000 nautical miles (distance) divided by 8.5 (theoretical hull speed) = 117.65 hours, or 4.9 days.
How long does it take to sail across the Mediterranean Sea?
How long does it take to sail across the Mediterranean? It takes about 1 week to sail across the Mediterranean non-stop at 12 knots. It takes about 2 weeks at 6 knots. If you plan on stops, it takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks.
How is sailing distance calculated?
How to Determine Time, Distance and Speed for Sailing
- Draw a large triangle.
- Divide into three sections as shown in the illustration.
- Place a D (for distance ) on the top section. Place an S (for speed) on the bottom left and T (for time) on the bottom right.
- Cover the unknown factor with a finger. Divide if you see two vertical factors after you cover the single factor.
Is it cheaper to buy ferry tickets in Greece?
Ferry tickets are cheap if you are going deck. Once you go by high-speed or get a cabin then the price starts going up dramatically. You can figure that if a deck or 3rd class ticket to Mykonos costs 27 euro then the high-speed will cost almost double that.
Should I book Greek ferries in advance?
Greek Island Ferries – Essential Info But for peace of mind, book tickets 2 to 3 months in advance. If a ticket purchased online doesn’t have a barcode that usually means you’ll need to pick up a real ticket when in Greece. This is most often done at the ferry port 30 to 45 minutes before departure.
How far can a yacht go on a tank of gas?
This question is difficult to answer on its own. However, on average, a 75-foot motorized yacht with a tank that can carry 11,000 liters of fuel can travel up to 1500 nautical miles. If you are comparing your yacht to this average, make sure also to compare your tank size.
How far can I walk in a day?
While your body is made for walking, the distance you can achieve at an average walking pace of 3.1 miles per hour depends on whether you have trained for it or not. A trained walker can walk a 26.2-mile marathon in eight hours or less, or walk 20 to 30 miles in a day.
How fast is 10 knots an hour?
Knots to Miles per hour table
|Knots||Miles per hour|
|7 knots||8.06 mph|
|8 knots||9.21 mph|
|9 knots||10.36 mph|
|10 knots||11.51 mph|
Is it dangerous to sail across the Atlantic?
On an Atlantic voyage there are some serious threats. Most can be prepared for; although some will be up to Gods will only. There are many stories of poor sailors, alive at one second and dead in the next, killed by an unexpected swing of the boom. It will keep the boom from unexpected movements.
Is it hard to sail across the Atlantic?
Sailing the Atlantic Ocean is not necessarily difficult, but you must be aware of and prepared for these dangers: Large waves. Strong weather, including hurricanes (depending on the time of year you set sail ) Collisions with freighters and boats.
How big of a yacht do I need to sail across the Atlantic?
Here’s How Big your Sailboat Should Be to Cross the Atlantic: For crossing the Atlantic Ocean, you should aim for a boat that is at least 30-40 feet long. An experienced sailor can do with less. The smallest sailboat to cross the Atlantic Ocean was just over 5 feet long.
How many nautical miles can you sail in a day?
How many nautical miles can you sail in a day? On average, sailboats can sail up to 100 NM (115 miles or 185 km) in one day when they run downwind. If the engine is used at all, this distance can increase to 130 NM on longer passages.
Distance is measured on the latitude scale, at the sides of the chart. One minute of latitude is one nautical mile-at that latitude. One nautical mile is 1852 metres. One minute is one nautical mile (M) at that latitude because on Mercator Projection charts the latitude scale increases the further north you travel.
How long does it take to go 20 miles in a boat?
So it will take you roughly 40 minutes to travel that 20 miles.